Fredonia Township, Michigan
Fredonia Township, Michigan
|• Total||34.8 sq mi (90.2 km2)|
|• Land||34.0 sq mi (88.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|Elevation||938 ft (286 m)|
|• Density||48/sq mi (18.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626312|
Fredonia Township is a civil township of Calhoun County in the U.S. state of Michigan located southwest of the city of Marshall. It is part of the Battle Creek Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,626 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.8 square miles (90.2 km2), of which 34.0 square miles (88.1 km2) is land and 0.81 square miles (2.1 km2), or 2.38%, is water.
Fredonia Township is accessed by the following major roadways:
- Interstate 69 (exit 32)
There is no railroad service within the township.
- Ellis Corner is a named place located at the intersection or H Drive South and 13 Mile Road. This was also the location of a post office in this township from 1882 until 1901.
- Marshall city limit extends into the northeast corner of the township.
- Wrights Corner is a named place located at the intersection of F Drive South and 17 Mile Road (Old 27) and the location of the township hall and fire station.
|Source: Census Bureau. Census 1960- 2000, 2010.|
As of the census of 2010 there were 1,626 people, 679 households, and 503 families residing in the township. The population density was 50.4 per square mile (19.5/km2) and housing density was 21.3 per square mile (8.2/km2).
Of the 679 households, 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.9% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.9% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 2.91.
The township population age distribution was 23.3% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 27.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,635, and the median income for a family was $50,909. Males had a median income of $35,388 versus $28,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,354. About 5.6% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.3% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Fredonia Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Fredonia township, Calhoun County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Romig 1986, p. 180.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6.